St Fillan's Church - Killin
St Fillan's is an excellent example of a "tin tablernacle". Tin tablernacles were innovative Victorian churches constructed from standardised, corrugated iron sheets on a wooden frame. The manufacturer might have been The London Iron Church & Chapel Company. This tin tab was built in 1876 by the 7th Marquis of Breadalbane as a place for his shooting parties to worship, and was known locally as the "Grouse Chapel". Originally it consisted of three bays and the west porch. It was extended in 1885 with the addition of the crossing and the chancel bay. The building was further extended in in 1969 when a meeting room was added at the east end. The church has an extensive timber interior. The carved and painted altar was made by George Watson of Edinburgh. The stained glass window above the altar depicts the Annunciation. The altar rail came from the demolished chapel at Taymouth.
The church had a major renovation in 2011, funded by grants and a generous benefactor from America.
There is a service in St Fillan's on the first and third Sunday of each month which you can find on the Weekly Services Page. On the second and fourth Sundays join with St Angus' in Lochearnead or Killin Parish Church at 10.00 am.
Service notices are also posted in the wee window in the porch.
On Pentecost Sunday (8th June 2014), St Fillan's was formally "wedded" to the Strathearn Churches Group at a communion service where Bishop David Chillingworth, the Primus and Bishop of St Andrews and Dunkeld, officiated and preached. It was a wonderful occasion when the new team was introduced, and the retiring clergy were thanked for their service to St Fillans. It was followed by tea in the Kirk Hall.
Please click on the button for details of our regular service times.
OFFICE OF SCOTTISH CHARITY REGULATOR NUMBER SCO30387