St. Angus' History
St Angus’ Church, Lochearnhead
We welcome you to this church, dedicated to St Angus, who lived and preached the Gospel in this area over a thousand years ago.
The church was built in 1888 as a private chapel by three local families: the Stewarts of Ardvorlich, the Carnegies of Stronvar, and the MacGregors of MacGregor. It was consecrated by the Bishop of St Andrews in 1894, as a chapel of the Scottish Episcopal Church.
Today St Angus’ Church is the only place of worship in Lochearnhead. It remains the home of an Episcopalian congregation, but is open to all, and enjoys a warm friendship with the Church of Scotland parish of Balquhidder, and other Christians in the area. It forms part of a group of three Episcopal congregations in Strathearn, the other two being St Columba’s, Crieff and St Serf’s, Comrie.
The Scottish Episcopal Church is a province of the Anglican Communion. We are heirs of that part of the Scottish Church that embraced the principles of the Reformation, but remained faithful to our Bishops when Scotland finally became Presbyterian in 1689.
Today we seek to know Christ, and make him known, through faithful worship, through both Word and Sacrament. All services are open to all.
Please join us, if you will, in our worship.
St Angus of Balquhidder:
Preacher of the Gospel
St Angus is only known through legend. He is believed to have been associated with a community of Christians in Dunblane, and to have established a Christian community in and about Balquhider in the 7th or 8th Century AD
Inside the church, on the carved wooden reredos behind the altar, St Angus is depicted along with St Blane, St Columba and St Ninian. The same panel also depicts the annunciation story, when the Angel Gabriel brought the news to Mary that she was to bear a son, Jesus, the world’s Saviour. Written in Latin on it are the opening words of St John’s Gospel: ‘The Word became flesh and dwelt among us.’
The Christian Faith in Lochearnhead and Balquhidder today
The Christian faith as it has been preached and believed here over the centuries can be summed up thus: God is among us; in Christ he makes himself known, and on those who accept the good news that he brings, he bestows the gift of life eternal.
Rooted in the love of Christ, we open our doors to all who would enter here, we give ourselves to all the joys and the difficulties that come of living in a small rural community, and we cherish this beautiful corner of our land.
St Angus Episcopal Church - 1915
St Angus c. 1915