St. Angus', Lochearnhead
St. Angus' Church, Lochearnhead – the church was built in 1888 as a private chapel by three local families: the Stewarts of Ardvorlich, the Carnegies of Stronvar and the MacGregors of MacGregor. It was consecrated by the Bishop of St Andrews in 1894 as a chapel of the Scottish Episcopal Church.
Initially it served the needs of the grouse-shooting visitors to the estates of the three local families and generally the congregations were small. There was a threat of closure in the 1980s but this was averted.
The building is one of the most beautiful small churches in the Diocese. It holds about sixty people. At the altar is a reredos, donated in 1909 as a thank offering from someone connected with Edinample Castle at a time of great sorrow. It is beautifully crafted, probably locally, and features St Angus, St Blane, St Columba, St Ninian and the Annunciation. The altar rail itself was a bequest of Catherine Bain who died at Edinchip in 1906. The “Kneelers Group” has worked some lovely kneelers and seat pads which reflect the congregation and its history. St Angus' Church is a listed building and, after over one hundred years' use, has recently had a new roof which should ensure its future survival.
Today it is the only church in the village of Lochearnhead, although the Church of Scotland Parish Church, located in Balquhidder, serves all three villages and is linked with Killin. St Angus' remains the home of the Scottish Episcopalian Congregation but welcomes visitors of any Christian denomination. It forms part of the congregation of Strathearn, the other three being St Columba's in Crieff, St Serf's in Comrie and St Fillan's in Killin.
The church has an enthusiastic congregation of people who make every attempt to reach out to the community. They hold many events including Community Christmas Carol Services in the Village Hall, a Quiz Night and other specialist events to raise funds for either St Angus' or other specific charities in the UK or overseas. During Lent and at other times, Bible Studies are directed by our minister, the Rev Paddy Allen and involve as many people as possible, including those of other denominations.
Please click on the button for details of our regular service times.
OFFICE OF SCOTTISH CHARITY REGULATOR REFERENCE SC 009327